Roofing Materials Faq
Your choice of material is one of the most important decisions you will make regarding your Colorado Springs roofing project. Here’s some information to help you make the right choice for your home and your budget. For answers to home improvement questions or to schedule a FREE estimate, please call AquaDuct Roof and Gutters today at (719) 390-7663!
- Asphalt shingles. The most common type of roofing material, asphalt shingles are popular because they’re affordable and versatile. Durability is another advantage: this type of shingle works in nearly any environment and lasts for many years. In recent years, manufacturers have succeeded in making asphalt shingles that mimic high-end materials such as slate and wood shakes.
- Wood shingles. Wood shingles provide a distinctive look for the roofline and also are a better insulator than other roofing materials. There’s a wide variety of colors and sizes to choose from, but wood shingles demand proper maintenance to ward off mold, mildew and rot.
- Slate. Natural slate offers superior durability – 100 years of service life or more – and excellent fire resistance. Slate is very expensive to purchase and install, and some roofs may require modifications to support its heavy weight.
- Tile. Like slate, tile offers excellent resistance to rot, fire and the elements. Comparably priced with wood shingles, tile is made of clay or concrete and generally lasts more than 50 years.
- Metal. Extremely durable and versatile, metal is an excellent choice for long-term performance. Reflective coatings allow it to keep roofing in Colorado Springs, CO, cooler in the summer, and it also can be recycled, so it’s an environmentally-friendly roofing option.